Saturday, July 12, 2014

Drying Apricots & Too Much Eventfulness!

Why we don't go on vacations...
Last weekend being long for the holiday,
we decided to take a little trip.
Not too far, just outta Dodge for 3 days.
I found a great little camp site with 5 sites
each with its own picnic table & shade trees between.
It was at the end of a short street so no traffic etc.
We were camper #7 to pull in.
We were parked on a crusty lawn in the blazing sun,
no table & only some lilacs separating us from the owners house.
"Oh, well, we'll be out and about quite a bit.
It will be okay."
We had been up since 5 AM because that's just what time we wake.
Fireworks didn't start until 10:15 PM.
We didn't stay to watch all of them
as we were falling asleep and didn't want to be
in drunken traffic or teenager traffic or whatever other traffic.
We went back to the camper and were out by the time
our heads hit the pillows.
About 2:30 AM the owners family all came
rolling in with hoopin' and hollerin' & language like I won't repeat, and 
went directly between us and the house.
The next day, the owner apologized then proceeded to inform
me that there would be different music at each bar in town.
Mr. LB & I talked and decided just to come home.
On the way home, we saw Mr. LB's brother fishing
so ended up stopping and fishing a little longer than we should have.
I took over driving when Mr. LB started snoring behind the wheel.
He hadn't slept since 2:30 AM.  I did a little.
We rolled in about 9:30-10 PM.
We slept in until 6-6:30 then decided to go get a load of wood.
They opened the forest since the last rain
and we were home anyways.
It turned into a very long hot (100+) day.
Got a nice load of red fir and returned home about 9 PM.
I was so hot and tired, I didn't care about food.
Mr. LB had to eat or he would have been sick the next day as
he uses up all his spare calories.
I cooked while he showered.  Then he ate while I showered.
Monday we were still zapped.
Tuesday, I picked up some bulk meat to divy up and freeze.
We still hadn't unloaded the wood.
Wed. my M-I-L gave me 2 big boxes of apricots so I got to work on those.
I don't care for them fresh but love them dried.
Five racks on the dryer going constantly since Wed. night.
Still have 4 or 5 cookie sheets (so they are single layer)
in the little room where they will keep better.
This isn't even all of them:)
Thursday, I put some lamb chops in marinate for Sunday's company.
Today (Sat.) was my first day home in a while.
Got the lawn mowed and watered, did 4 or 5 loads of laundry
which I usually do Thursdays, did most of the ironing, made a gallon
of homemade ice cream and was cleaning house since we have
company coming tomorrow, .
If there was a 'weeds in the garden' competition,
I would win - so weeded a ton in the garden.
Bustling and busy and sweaty all day.
About 7:30, went to do up the tail end of some dishes and start dinner.
No Water!
Mr. LB is at Home Depot (over an hour away) with my dad, as I type this,
purchasing a new well pump.
I'm not sure how long it will take to install it, but
I am thankful we live next to a river.
I went down with my towel and soap.
It was rather invigorating to say the least.
Hoping we get it all put together and have water before company.
I'm curious - what does a day off feel like?

Until next time,
Nimble Fingers and Even Stitches

PS- Mr. LB just called: they are 30-40 min. out, and
they are hoping to get the pump in tonight. It's 9 PM.


  1. I know what you mean by to much event fullness. It has been busy for me with a baseball game yet to go with my youngest grandson. I have watched it all this weekend with the older two showing horses all day yesterday. I love dried apricots. Do you ever make any apricot jamb. I like some fresh, but much prefer them elsewise. Have a wonderful day. Hugs and Prayers from your Missouri Friend.

  2. Oh my...there is no place like home.
    Your apricots look amazing.

  3. Isn't that life, especially on a farm! ;)

  4. Morning, We were just talking about doing up some fruit this week! Really home is so much better!!
    Blessings, Roxy

  5. I didn't know Home Depot had well pumps. We have a deep well, 360 feet, and when it went out it was an ordeal. We had to get the well pump guys to come out and pull the pump to replace the check valve and since the pump had been there for 10 years or so we just had them change it out. It was expensive too. How lucky to have all those apricots! I love them dried or canned.

  6. What a great job, you will be eating good apricots in the winter and so many will be jealous. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop! I hope you’ll join us again next week!

    Kathy Shea Mormino
    The Chicken Chick

  7. Thanks for linking up with us this week :) I am still drooling at those beautiful apricots!