I was able to go to quilt group yesterday, so I took along my Cathedral Window quilt to work on. I posted some time back when I was still collecting the fabrics - see here.
I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but of the background fabric (dark browns,) I needed 25 yards to make 396 9.5" blocks.
I have here my blocks cut. I need a few more and have the fabric, but didn't want to drag along the cutting mat, ruler, and cutter in addition to my own iron and travel board. There is one there, but I didn't want to hog it. Once these large blocks are cut, they get folded (using an iron) into a 4 inch block. It's like origami with fabric.
My mother-in-law gave me this cute little can, so I put all 594 of the 2.5" windows in it so they won't fray, get lost, or collect dust while I am working on the background.
They all fit - barely.
Then I got my picnic basket - yes, you read that correctly.
It all fits in there so it isn't just sitting around in piles. As of yesterday, I have 200 of the 396 large blocks folded/ironed. Over half way there:) I did start sewing the centers together one evening just so I could sit down stairs and actually see my hubby, but I won't let myself start sewing them together until I get them all folded and pressed. There are several fabrics so I want them mixed up - not a cluster of all one fabric in one corner etc. If you don't like to iron, I wouldn't recommend this pattern. I can hardly wait to do the real stitching on it. I am doing it all by hand so it isn't exactly a quilt in a day sort of quilt. I will keep you posted.
Until next time,
Nimble Fingers and Even Stitches.