I have began a project I shouldn't be working on just yet. I have a challenge quilt due by the end of the month, and I started on my 'Cathedral Window' quilt. Baaad me - shame on me. I just couldn't help myself. Our bedroom is in a sorta pumpkin spice color as well as antiqued bronze, and I am making it for our bed. This will give you a bit of an idea what it should look like.
The ladies in Baker are making one for next years raffle which inspired me. I love the hand work. Nothing like having a needle in hand. Most Cathedral Window quilts I have seen have either a white or unbleached muslin background fabric (of which it takes 25 yards.) With such a requirement, it is easy to understand why muslin is so popular for the background. I chose to use a dark for the background then have the 'windows' be vibrant. I am using several background fabrics all of which are a very dark brown/black. They start out as a 9.5 inch square.
That is actually pretty easy - other than the mass quantity needed. I am somewhere between half and two-thirds of the way with this step. I think I need about 10 more yards of background fabrics. Anybody considering making one of these, be advised: there is A LOT of ironing. Once all of the 9.5 inch squares cut, I fold them up using an iron to become a four inch square that looks like this.
I have 97 of the 396 needed that are completed to this stage. (that's 1/4 of the way:) I am stacking them so I can keep track of how many I have. I had to have some way of organizing them. Once I get them all ironed, I will have to stitch the 4 corners together - yesss, on all 396 of them. Actually, I am looking forward to that stage as it will mean the ironing is finished. Then I will get to ladder-stitch them together side-by-side to create the real background for the windows. I will probably do this in sections (as I was advised to do.) After that (we are so in future tense now) comes the making of the windows. I need 696 2.5 inch squares for the windows. I have about 3/4 of what I need for those.
I am using a variety of different prints for these as well - but all in the same color range. You notice I am using the 'make a pile' organization method for these:) I will be putting them in a basket here shortly as I don't want them to fray or scatter etc. while the background pieces are being finished.
Then at last, I will get to make the windows.
They will look something like this. The 2.5 inch square is placed in each 'frame' and the edge is folded over to create a scallop shape and stitched in place. I can hardly wait! I have also learned that this is actually considered a coverlet because of the fact that it has no batting. I have a feeling that it will be plenty warm enough considering the fact that there will be 25 yards in background plus the windows over us.
Soooo, now I am off to work on the challenge piece - I really am making headway on it and am enjoying working on it. The UFO's are calling my name.